Author Topic: 38 Special load for 50 yards with W-231  (Read 89603 times)

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: 38 Special load for 50 yards with W-231
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2008, 08:45:37 am »
Actually I was holding a little to tight on the bottom of the bull.  On the next target, without changing the sights, I shot a 98 but the hits were lower where they should be.  :)
Distinguished Pistol Shot

wm197858

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2008, 05:33:12 pm »
In the past I have owned several Clarks.  Some were engraved, but the earlier ones were not, although they were full jobs.  I discussed this about one year ago with the Clark Co. Jim's son, I think, and he conformed this,  However, they always marked inside.  One can call Clark, and they will conform.  Warren, TN

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2008, 03:07:54 pm »
The 38 colts are  pleasant to shoot. I think they tend to hurt 45 scores though. I didn't own one until I was 65 & then the theory was my scores had deteriorated so badly it couldn't hurt. It did. Possibly practicing w/ the 45 then shooting the 38 in matches? I've had some very nice pratice 38 scores but am inconsistent and have always scored lower than with the 45.

What are some of you posters exp in this regard? Also what bullets have given the best results? I use Delta Precision HBWC (swaged). I noted rbwillng's success w/ Rem.

My 38 (the one I shoot) is a slide mounted red dot and has no markings as to the pistolsmith. I use 2.75 grains of BE. I haven't had the opportunity to have it shot in the ransom rest.

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »
Star  73
I have a Clark 38 sp with a slide mounted red dot and I shoot a H&G #50 THAT IS A 148 GR. WC button nose I size them to .357 dia and the barrel is .3565  I use wheel weight lead with 2.8 bull But I must say I did shoot some hbwc and did shoot good too but I did have leading.the hbwc bullet are .358 dia. I do have a long slide Clark in 38 with a mine rib.   Pat   Kalifornia

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2008, 12:13:25 am »
Star73, 

A surprising observation about your 38 scores being lower than your 45 scores.  I would have thought shooting the 38; your scores would be comparable to your 45 results.  I have found the 38 to be a joy to shoot and much easier in timed and rapid fire.   

However, it's taken me most of the summer to find a reliable and accurate load my gun likes. 

-s

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2008, 07:53:55 am »
My .38 scores are consistently higher than my .45 scores.  I can invariably shoot several "cleans" with the .38 on the timed fire portion of the match.  My best with the .45 has been a 98.

The .38 can lead you into a trap however.  You can get spoiled by the lighter trigger pull and sometimes the .38 is like that girl friend you really love at lot, but she doesn't like you very much.  I've had really good days where everything works fine and some days I can't hit my butt with both hands.  The .38 can be very unforgiving if you forget to follow through and concentrate on your sights and trigger control.

My Clark .45 is very consistent and there are periods where I will put the .38 away and just shoot the .45 in 2700s.  I shoot higher slow fire scores with the .45 but part of that is the advantage of the bigger hole down range on the target.  Groups are about the same size but that .38 hole can be a detriment at 50 yards.

On bullets, I've had good luck with Remington's HBWC though they are messy to reload.  I also liked National's swaged HBWC before they went out of business.  And Hornady's HBWC works, as does Zero's.  For DEWCs, I still have some Western Nevada bullets that shoot okay, but I think they went out of business as well.

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2008, 05:36:52 pm »

That's a great analogy of the .38 being like a former girlfriend.  I have to remember that the next time I'm at the long line trying to keep my shots on paper :)   As much as I like shooting my .45 - the gun has been in the shop most of this year so I elected to go to my backup centerfire gun. 

Regarding bullets, I found Hornady's HBWC to be quite accurate with many HBWC also grouping well out of my gun.  Currently, I have a lot of Bear Creek Supply bullets that I am working my way through.  The part that doesn't always work well is the loose nut behind the gun. 

I was told Western Nevada Bullets is now called X-Treme Bullets.  They're alive and well in Carson City, NV.

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2008, 11:50:18 pm »
Which gun do you practice most .38 or .45? I have found I must practice w/ the .38 as there is a dif in the two. As mentioned above, follow thru is very critical w/ the .38.

I have an old shooting friend who had an analogy similiar to the "girl friend", his was "the .38 is like a lady of ill repute, you know you shouldn't but you can't resist going there".

Seriously, I too find the .38 very pleasant to shoot.
Ron

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2008, 04:13:09 pm »
The last two years, I've spent more time with the .45, but that's because I was on a roll and Legged out for Distinguished Pistol a year ago June.  Since then, I practice with both about equally, but some matches, I will just shoot the .45 since I only have to worry about bringing ammo for it and the .22.

Since the Winter indoor season is coming up, I'll probably spend a little more time with the .38 since I like shooting it in the indoor matches and will shoot it at the Texas Indoor State match in April in the Centerfire and team matches.

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2008, 01:40:23 pm »

For years, the .38 was in my box as a backup gun.  Really never shot the 38 much over the years as I put more effort into learning the .45.  Now that I have used the .38 for most of this year's matches;  I have to say I really appreciate it much more than before.   

Now, I wonder how well a .32 SW long  would work in place of the .38? 

-steve