Author Topic: New indexer  (Read 3216 times)

Scott L

• Active Members
    • View Profile
New indexer
« on: November 28, 2023, 12:55:15 am »
I saw this on Ebay and am not affiliated.

Index Assistor for the Star Progressive Reloader and Universal Reloader by New Iron Machine & Design.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404644233617?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=a80dab76fd184de6b1cd531eba486bfb&bu=43956398431&ut=RU&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20231127021943&segname=11021

Scott L

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: New indexer
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 08:00:17 am »
Greetings,
I decided to purchase an Index Assistor and am very happy with it. I load two types of .32 rounds and indexing by hand leads to spilled powder once in a while.
In use - after removing the crimped/finished round, I push the Assistor and never spilled any powder out of 50 of these short cases.
It's well made and very smooth in use.

Scott

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 08:33:12 am »
Looks well made, like an updated version of the Somar Indexer.

I give up, what is 32 Baczuk Special?
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 08:44:31 am »
Did not know the Somar was from Wisconsin.
The Freeloader also came from Wisconsin, but from Beloit, I believe, Different person and location. Inventor is still a member of this site.
Maybe something in the cheese?
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Scott L

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 12:51:32 am »
I give up, what is 32 Baczuk Special?

First, I have started labeling everything, so that when I croak my kids know what it is - Star 32acp dies and a 32Long shell plate. Easy to configure for the acp or long rounds.
The Baczuk Spl is an NRA centerfire bullseye round developed to use in a 32Long pistol (boltface) with a 32acp barrel chamber allowing the use of 60gr - 78gr projectiles.
32Long brass is cut down to 32acp chamber spec.
I have welded up one Walther bolt that was re-machined into a 32acp boltface and didn't want to do that on my Erma.
I was told about the round at a match and decided to try it - it's very accurate!
Hope this explains it's development.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 09:47:31 am »
So the case is a tad longer than a 32 S&W (short).

It's interesting that the only reference to 32 Baczuk that shows up in a Bing or Google search is this thread.

Sounds like something Dave Wilson will have to play with.

Bruce Williams
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 02:09:50 pm »
Bruce
Since you asked the question, I did not.
I also did a quick internet search without success.

Since the reply, I also went through my records from NRA pistol competition, including Pistol Commitee meeting minutes/records and Camp Perry history.
Same as you. I found nothing.

Many of the current .32 variations shot thru Pardini, Hammerli, and Walther target pistols, etc., often prove difficult in finding the right bullet/powder combination at 50 yards.
Often due to the small powder charge, reduced velocity, wind etc,. and of course trigger control and follow through.

I would think that maybe it was a result of someone who had the time and inclination, and was willing to put in the effort of finding a .32 that would shoot at 50 yards.
Maybe it is the Holy Grail .32 caliber competitors are looking for.

One more caliber to add to Star ability!

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 02:10:55 pm »
Scott;

Any idea how many others competitors are using this?

Where was the match located?

Good luck.

Scott L

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 09:40:32 pm »
Scott;

Any idea how many others competitors are using this?

Where was the match located?

Good luck.

It was developed so those of use with a 32swl pistol receiver/bolt and a 32acp barrel can use the 60gr -78gr projectiles. Only two of us that I know of are using it.
I was told about it at a match in the Puyallup area of Western Washington State.
The gentleman that developed the round is machining 32swl brass down to his chamber depth. I'm using S&W short brass and polymer coated projectiles with no issues.

Problems with Pardini's are magazine adjustment to get the 32acp to work and you have to buy a 32acp upper.$$$.
My Walther GSP and Erma ESP-85a would need the 32swl bolt face TIG welded and re-machined into a 32acp rim diameter - I'm a TIG welder, but don't want modify them.

I didn't want to name names as they can respond if they want.