Author Topic: Case kicker problem  (Read 10754 times)

dbltapster

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Case kicker problem
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:05:36 am »
I have a (Brandes) case kicker installed on my Star.  The press is set up for 38 spec.  I am encountering a problem with it...I have adjusted it per the instructions, and have tested it repeatedly with empty and loaded cases.  Once adjusted and working properly, I tighten it down.  However, once I begin reloading (after approx 5 - 10 loaded rounds) the kicker moves out of adjustment causing (at best), a case that will momentarily bind and then launch across my loading bench, or (at worse), misaligns the cam angle and the fork finger causing the fork finger to bend. NOT GOOD!

I think the problem lies with the screw that secures the unit down to the post.  Despite my attempts to tighten it, it still must be moving!  Any suggestions would  be appreciated.  Thanks.

Kirk A

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Case kicker problem
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 01:06:36 pm »
No troubles with mine. Agree with your diagnosis of "axial play", but consider Ray's installation instructions that the post must be "wrench tight". Perhaps the movement is there, in the post, rather than the screw?
Distinguished Pistol
Distinguished Revolver

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 06:47:04 pm »
Teflon tape?
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

dbltapster

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:41:20 pm »
I took another look at the problem tonight.  The post and the kicker are bolted down tightly.  I ran some empty cases through.  Some of the cases kick out perfectly.  Others would get stuck as the kicker tries to eject them.  When I slow the operation down to see where the cases get hung-up, I notice that as the kicker forks start to push the casing out of the shell plate, the casing cants (or tips) just a little as it tries to eject.  When its about 1/2 way out of the shell plate, the rim of the casing catches the edge of the shellplate and it binds.  I have tried moving the forks closer and farther away from the casing and get the same result.  Am I missing something here?

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 06:48:20 pm »
A Point.....  there is a cam that comes with the case kicker....
It attaches to a post on the machine head.
The position in which you mount this cam on the post (up or down) has alot
to do with the timing of the ejection.  Try playing with that and see what happens.

Also you can actuate the kicker with a shell in it by hand by pronging the
trigger nib on the kicker.   Try that a few times.  I set up my kickers
by placing a loaded round in that last position and use my finger to
set off the eject.  You can see and feel then, by doing it this way, just
what is not right.

Using this method, a few weeks ago, I found for instance, that I was trying to actuate the .44 Mag rounds
way too early (the cam was).  The bullet tip was catching on the taper crimp die.
But by hand actuating the kicker just did not reproduce this.... Then it dawned on me
to look at the press working in slow motion.  That's when it showed up.

So first set the kicker to work by hand trigger.... then look elsewhere,
at the cam and its height on the post.

I hope this helps and does not confuse...?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:50:00 pm by ARTINCT »
Art In Connecticut

dbltapster

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 07:55:32 pm »
Wecome back Art.  Thanks for the suggestions.  -- According to the instructions the cam plate is suppossed to be all the way up and against the die plate (bottom of).  But, what you say makes sense.  Once I have the kicker working correctly by hand (I have been doing that way first before cycling the press), I'll try lowering the cam plate to affect the timing a little better.  We'll see what happens!\

Update:  After manually checking that the brass was ejecting without snags, I adjusted the cam plate approx. 1/4 inch below the die plate.  That seems to have done the trick.  I have cycled brass through the shell plate both manually and with the indexer, and the kicker is fuctioning well in both modes.  Thanks Art.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:13:20 pm by dbltapster »

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 01:57:30 pm »
I tried that also, so far the kicker seems to work........
Thanks guys for the helpful information........
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 02:26:17 pm »
The indexer and kicker are Beautiful things when they are set up correctly.
The only thing to be aware of are running out of primers, and cases that feed upside down. (this happens alot to me with 9MM Luger).

Art In Connecticut

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 07:53:49 pm »
I noticed on a Post, either here or on another forum that some\one adapted a Dillon Primer Warning Device......To you professional parts-adapers and part makers that should be "No hill for you stepper/s"
Regards
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:25:39 pm by askimball »
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain