Author Topic: Observations and Questions  (Read 8851 times)

dd in MA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Observations and Questions
« on: December 19, 2005, 10:45:39 pm »

Kenneth L. Walters wrote some interesting things about the Star Machine Works in his posts to the forum.  One thing that comes to mind was about the business practices at Star or lack thereof of SMC.

As I posted the other day, I have just seen a Star Reloading Tool for the first time.  The owner has quite a number of paper items from Star which I obtained today and made copies for reading and research.  Some are duplicates, just with differing dates, like price lists.  One price list, dated March 1, 1978, ends with the following:

AT THE PRESENT TIME OUR SHIPPING SCHEDULE IS APPROX:

Reloaders:           22 - 24 Months
Extra Tool Head          12 - 14     ?
Lubricators          8 - 10      ?
Parts                   2 - 5        ?

With a production schedule like this, it is no wonder the company went out of business.  I know, there are undoubtedly many factors contributing toward such a situation such as the health of the principals, other aerospace industry business, etc., but still....

My friend who owns the machines that I mentioned will be taking them apart for a thorough cleaning and reassembly before any attempt at reloading.  I will get more information as I can.  Meanwhile, a question or two:  First, Quality.  You can see that this machine is very well built with materials of the highest order and dimensions held to very close tolerances.  Do you know just what areas of this press assembly contribute most to the production of quality ammunition on this machine?

I cannot look at the diagrams or at the press itself without comparing it to Dillon products, which may be heresey to some of you who have owned and used the Star for decades.  Yet, both are progressive machines; both use a rotating shell plate, a primer feed system, and a powder drop system.  One wonders just where one machine may be better than the other.  Even which Dillon machine most fairly compares directly to the Star?  What do you think??

dd in MA
Still learning.

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Observations and Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 01:09:10 am »
I think some of the other members can fill you in on much of Star's business history.?

Yes, there are those of us who consider it heresy to mention Star and Dillon in the same breath <LOL>, but hey, every group has their fanatics.? Even the BE list has their adherents.?

Having been a Star owner for close to 30 years now, I have found the Star Loader to be a great tool.? In my opinion, I would consider the Dillon RL1000 or RL1050 to be similar to the Star.? I find there is a lot of <functional and design> similarities between the two with the exception of being able to load rifle cartridges.?

Personally, I encourage you use a Star and load on it.? Then tell me what you think of the machine after loading a few thousand rounds.? Chances are, you will not notice a significant difference in functioning nor in the operation.? What you will notice is how smooth everything worked, the flow or rythm of your movements, and not really worrying about breaking something.?

The other issue is speed.? A Dillon 550 and 650 will load more rounds per hour than a Star.? I'd never been able to match production rates equal to a Dillon.? But then again, I don't try.? If I wanted the speed of a Dillon, I'd buy a Dillon.?

Don't misunderstand me.? Dillon makes several good reloading presses.? They offer an outstanding product at reasonable costs.? I wish Star can compete head-to-head with Dillon but that will never happen.? Hell, I just wish we had more parts dealers in the country to buy from.?

Regards,
Steve

dd in MA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Observations and Questions
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 07:17:07 am »
Thanks for the candid comments, Steve.  You make excellent points, along the lines that I have deduced the qualities and advantages of the Star would likely be.  Hope to hear from more Star owners.

dd in MA