Author Topic: Lee Case Collator adapted to Star Hulme Case Feeder.  (Read 13362 times)

BruceCampbell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Lee Case Collator adapted to Star Hulme Case Feeder.
« on: November 27, 2012, 11:01:39 pm »
Thanks to another thread on this forum, I adapted two Lee case collator's to two of my star presses.  The Lee works fine.  Having used them for a few thousand rounds, they work as dependably as my Freeloader on my other Star.  The Freeloader is not perfect, and I occasionally fail to notice that I have run out of brass with the Lee.  It is a slightly different habit and took me a while to get used to.

Materials: Lee Case Collator, one 4-inch 1/4 x 20 bolt, two or three 1/4 x 20 nuts, and a 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 long piece of clear plastic tubing.  (I ordered extra Lee case tubes when I ordered the Lee Collator from Midway.) 

Procedure: 1) Grind the hex head of the 4 inch bolt to fit the hex opening in the Lee Collator black plastic base.  2) Measure and mark the location of the 4 inch bolt onto the aluminum adaptor for the Hulme feeder.  I centered the case openings and marked the center of the hole in the hex opening onto the aluminum base.  3) Drill and tap the aluminum base for the 1/4 x 20 bolt.  4) Fit the clear plastic tube to match the base and the length of the bolt, approximately 3 1/4 inches in length, but this will vary with the different base adaptor heights.

The bolt holds the Lee collator to the correct height, and the tube aligns onto the Hulme feeder, allowing cases to drop cleanly into the feeder.  This mount retains the multi-tube feeding of the Lee.  Hopefully my photos will help explain.

bulletmen

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Lee Case Collator adapted to Star Hulme Case Feeder.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 04:10:08 pm »
Sorry to bring back a post from the past, but I like it !  The LEE collator looks affordable and the conversion to STAR looks easier than thought. thanks for posting.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »
I offer Ana adapter to mount Lee case feeder tubes and collator.   Take a look at this thread in the want to sell area.   http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1735.0

Bruce
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Green Frog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:24:51 pm »
I've installed one of Bruce's adaptor plates on my Progressive... I like the fact that the Lee unit is supported directly on a plate rather than wobbling around on a piece of tubing.  It just seems more secure this way.  The workmanship on the plate is outstanding, and the price is reasonable. JMHO, YMMV!  ;)

Froggie