Author Topic: Camp Perry  (Read 51188 times)

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Camp Perry
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:13:57 pm »
Curious as to how many members go to or have gone to Camp Perry.

Since the Star was widely used in Bullseye circles, when Bullseye was THE game, I would imagine a lot.
In the heyday of Bullseye, (I would speculate late 50s to late 60s) the Star was the reloader to own if you were serious about your shooting. Since it did both .38 and .45, and that was all you needed to load target quality ammo that were comparable to, and in some cases superior to factory loaded ammunition.

It is not my intent to insult those that do not shoot Bullseye, as I have shot IDPA, Action Pistol, and IPSC too; with my .45 with ammo loaded on my Star.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Ross Chesley

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chesleyconsultants.com
Re: Camp Perry
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 01:45:45 am »
Count me in as a Bullseye shooter who has been going to Camp Perry since 2005. My first visit cemented forever a commitment to participate and support National Matches and competitive shooting.

I do not see many Stars at Camp Perry, but occasionally I will meet up with StarReloaders.com forum members or hear someone mention they load on a Star. Nice to find others out there doing as I do.

This year at Canton Regional in Canton, OH a week before Perry, I spotted several old Star-like presses. One was an older Star Universal in .38/.357, the other was a handmade copy of a Star. At 20ft it appeared to be a Star missing paint and decals. A closer inspection showed everything including the dies were a nicely done home machine shop accomplishment. Neither press stayed on the tables long. I was sorry not to have more time when I spotted them to ask questions and find out more info. When you see one, pounce or regret it. 

If possible, I still like to get a Star from the original owner, or original family. Often they have some history and the press and accessories are more complete and better cared for. I put them to good use or find them a good home with another active reloader. I cannot stand to see Stars rusting away or worse, parted out just to make a buck (since often the parts are considered to be worth more than the whole to some people).

Camp Perry is a wonderful experience. I never see a reloading company on commercial row to show or sell their products. Does anyone remember a time when someone was selling Stars on commercial row at Perry?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 08:02:20 am »
Last year was my first and only time to shoot at Camp Perry.  I hope to make it back sometime in the future.   On several occasions I have visited Camp Perry during the pistol championships just to take advantage of commercial row.   I lived in the Cleveland area for 20 years before moving back east.   We still travel back to see friends, and I usually try to time the trips to coincide with the pistol championships.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:41:54 am »
My first year at Perry was when Star was still in going strong in business. They were not there then, nor any subsequent years. I cannot speculate before my time, but have some friends there in the 60s and 70s and will inquire. I also recall seeing Gil Hebard there as a competitor, but not as a vendor, and he handled Stars at the time.

Nice to hear about a few Stars at Canton. As the "Perry Warm up" Canton offers a lot including time to sell and swap.
Historically, there was always a competitor swap meet and allowance to post items on a bulletin board at Perry. The military policy changed this, and would not allow competitor swap meets for a few years, and removed any for sale items off the board. The swap meet was moved off site to a local club, but time and distance limited any real particpation, and that ended after a couple of years.
I do recall seeing an occasional Star, and Star accessories over the years, but some go back to when Perry utilized four ranges with over 1,000 competitors, and was considering going to five ranges for more. Now attendance is in the 650 to 750 range, and without swap meets, offered limited opportunity to sell/trade/swap Stars or any other items except by word of mouth.

This year, there was a military approved on site swap meet, but it was not well publicised, and attendance and particpation were woefully lacking by both particpants and buyers. Perhaps, the swap meets will again increase. I would expect more Stars to surface as interest in Bullseye declines, and competitors age and move on to other venues. 
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:06:32 pm »
I shot at Perry for some 20 yrs. I frequented Commercial Row from '65 thru '04. Over those yrs there were a few stars offered by individuals but no mfg presence. Unfortunately bullseye has been declining for the past 15 yrs or so as is reflected by the no. of perry entrants as commented on by Kenn.

I was fortunate to live on Catawba Island from '65 thru '04 making the matches convenient. Those were the days my friend!!
Ron

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 10:47:48 pm »
Ross,

Initially, I too was put off by the idea of Stars being parted out, but then I realized that one Star parted out can bring many others back to life.   If there was a ready source of original parts there wouldn't be a market for parted out Stars.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NMBob

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 12:49:25 pm »
I went with the New Mexico pistol team in 1984 and 1987.  It's a great experience, but I hate to fly with guns, and it's a long way from New Mexico by car.  And I can get in trips to Gunnison, CO and to the Whittington for the CO and NM state matches and regionals with just a few hours of driving.  The Whittington has a bullseye range roughed out but undeveloped and NM state match is shot on the PPC range.  This year's match is Sept. 12-13.  Visit the Whittington:  it's your range. 

Kirk A

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 10:33:46 am »
2010 will be my fourth year (although the first was SAFS only). It is unlike any other match. Three years ago, I was fresh on the firing line there, and I was hooked. Last year, my friend Bruce S was similarly hooked. This year we have another Camp Perry rookie, Dave O, and I fully expect that he will be hooked as well. It really is an experience. It's a shooting vacation!

-Kirk
Distinguished Pistol
Distinguished Revolver

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 03:04:03 pm »
I went in 2008.  A humbling experiance.   I'm going this year, but just for the hardball matches.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Hugh Tyer

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 03:57:10 pm »
I made my first Perry trip in 1974 as an Expert class civilian. I was fortunate to shoot the top civilian score in the expert class and was a firing member of the Georgia State Pistol Team. We won the service pistol team match for state associations. I stopped shooting in 1980. I needed one leg for distinguished.
Started back shooting this year and really am enjoying it. I'm thinking about Perry this year. I wonder how much it has changed. Are they still using the WW2 prisoner of war huts for housing?

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 06:26:30 pm »
Yes the huts are still in use for some competitors and volunteers. They also have a number of newer modules, much like motel rooms, that replaced many of them, in the same area off commercial row.  Two beds and a bathroom attached. Most of the inuse remaining huts have been reconditioned, repaired and many painted green. Modern latrines (central bath facilities) were added in the hut areas.
A motel like building was also added in the direction of the clubhouse. One bedroom rooms with a shared bath between two rooms.
The old clubhouse was torn down, and the motels in the front of it were destroyed by tornadoes and demolished.  There still are a number of the remaining officer cottages that were near it, as well as new modules which are really three/four bedroom houses. They now also have a new full hookup RV/campground area.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:20:59 am »
Greetings,

Attended Camp Perry with the Washington State Pistol Team in 1977 and 1979. I was the Collegiate Champion in 1979.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

JMM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 07:10:44 pm »
I started shooting camp perry style in 1972 and purchased a star I have no idea how many rounds it has loaded .later purchased a phelps universal and used for 45 ACP .Bullseye shooting has become almost non existant in Calif. now they are gathering dust.   

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 11:23:48 pm »
I went in 2007 for the pistol matches and to receive my Distinguished Pistol Medal on stage at the awards ceremony.  Had a really great time.  I'm going back next year to shoot the CMP rifle matches with some of the Texas State team guys if all goes well.
Distinguished Pistol Shot

Ironnewt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 02:51:25 am »
I've been a few times and always met tremendous people and given help when I needed it. I only had one bad experience and as the other person involved has "passed on to a better place" I'll let it go. I was there the year part of the .45 match was cancelled due to the storms coming in off the lake blowing everything everwhere. Hail the size of golfballs (or larger) and targets flying from the 50 yard position to the parking area. YOICKS!