Author Topic: moon unit indexer  (Read 42826 times)

Hugh Tyer

• Active Members
    • View Profile
moon unit indexer
« on: November 20, 2008, 07:22:35 am »
Do any of you have a moon unit indexer? If you have would you please comment on the experience you have with this accsessory. It appears to be a neat device.
Hugh

pvg3

• View Profile
Re: moon unit indexer
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:42:34 pm »
I recently purchased one of these units. It is well designed, and beautifully produced including a most professional set of instructions. Questions were answered promptly. I intend to add these units to my other machines.

Hugh Tyer

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 05:57:03 am »
Thanks for the comment Paul. I'm going to order one for my machine.
Hugh

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 04:54:48 pm »
Hugh...I've have both the indexer and kicker installed on one of my machines now. My description would be, "they work like a Swiss watch"...no complaints...worth the money...Pete

Hugh Tyer

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 02:56:08 pm »
Gerald
Go to www.bullybarrel.ray-vin.com and you will get all the info on his indexer
Hugh

Ross Chesley

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chesleyconsultants.com
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 06:44:42 pm »
I ordered and installed the Moon Unit Indexer and case kicker. Both are fantastic.

It is best to mount the indexer unit securely -- for me, wood screws did not work as well so I took the advice to use a piece of wood under the press and secured with 1/4"-20 screws and nuts to get it wrench tight. This enabled me to get things very nicely mounted and the adjustments stay perfectly. It works flawlessly and takes up no additional room on the bench -- and it is really not in the way of the press operation either.

The case kicker is incredibly handy -- you have to see if you have 1/8" clearance between your shell plate and the taper crimp die so there is room for the kicker lever to operate. My collection of taper crimps were not an issue and most could be shortened to accomodate the kicker -- and I would not hesitate to shorten the taper crimp, the kicker is most valued.

With the two items installed, it is possible do devote much more focus on placement of each bullet and visually checking for powder -- because the press cycle is still very smooth. The biggest challenge is keeping the press filled with primers, cases, and finding a handy solution to catch all those kicked cases.

Ray is very helpful and responsive and his wife was a peach each time I called. The units are packed and shipped beautifully, and the instructions provided will enable most people to install and adjust to get things working perfectly in under 15 minutes.

Consider this an endorsement! There will be a full review on StarReloaders.com including pictures and additional notes on the installation and adjustments from the recent testing.

Ross

windyhill

• Active Members
    • View Profile
help
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 10:07:21 pm »
who do i contact for the moon indexer? also could any one help me find a automated lead wire cutter,, i make swaged 45 cal bullets, i have a automated swaging press that will turn out 1500 bullets an hour and i need the core cutter to keep up any would be appreciated,, thanks denny

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 09:00:09 am »
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 10:14:06 pm »
I have heard where the use of the old style indexers (Brewster) on a star can cause accelerated wear on the shell plate.  Anybody out there have any experience with this, or is this just one of those "legends".  I was also curious if this new indexer had the same issues.  Right now both of my machines are manually indexed so I have no experience with this.  Do these things really speed the process up, or is it a marginal increase?  Inquiring minds....
Have to admit those moon indexers look good.
John

Hugh Tyer

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 06:25:18 am »
John
I have only had mine a few months but as there is no contact between the indexer and the shell plate I cant see where the action of indexing will put anymore pressure or wear on the plate than manually indexing. The device will definitely increase the production rate by, in my opinion, at least double.
Hugh

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 11:00:21 am »
Hugh;

What is your rate?
Any special techniques. I have one, never used it. I do not doubt it would speed up, but how much?
Adding in case feeders, and primer turrets, large capacity powder hopper, what do you think is a really achievable number?

Taking my time, sipping coffee, iced tea, etc. I load 300 per hour, including refill of powder, primers, etc.
Having all prepared and ready to go, loading continuously, I can do 500. 
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 07:29:33 pm »
I have 2 stars, both w/ feeders, & brewster indexers. They are both set up for auto ejection of the completed rnd. I use "freeloaders" on both. I operate them at a rate of 300/hr. I have produced slightly more than 500 in an hour to see what could bedone. I have no plans for a repeat performance.

I usually get cases, bullets, load my primer tubes, & at the end box & mark the ammo, shelve the boxes & remove pdr from the machine & clean the area. This usually takes about 2 hours.

The various production rates I have heard such as 650 to 800 for the machine as delivered to the customer to 1300 to 1500 for a machine equipped as mine are, for me, way out of reach. That being said I have NO desire or intention to crank ANY loader 1300 times per hour!

Ron

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 10:17:19 pm »
Thanks for your feedback Hugh.  I did not really understand how there could be more wear since the indexer is pushing on the case like your thumb would if you were working manually.  However, I did check out an old Phelps that had a indexer.  The indexer had no name, unfinished aluminum arms and body (anybody got a name for this one?) The shell plate was really sloppy at the index points (lots of play) and it appeared the ball detents were worn on the underside.  Just wondered if anyone out there had a similar experience.  Maybe that machine was just used and abused.

I am no speed hound (if you saw the average age of the equipment in my reloading room you would understand) but it is good to hear what people are actually getting for production rates that have some of these nice accessories.  The Moon unit really does look like a slick design, that combined with the case kicker should speed the process.  Appreciate your input folks. 
John

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 11:10:22 pm »
Well,, I had gotten by for nearly fifty years useing my left pointer finger as my indexer,, Then I read all this chatter
from all of You on this site about how well this Moon unit worked.    Ordered one from Ray today !!    If it works well,, then I'll mabe order another one.  we'll see.

Lindy

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 08:35:53 am »
I regularly do 400 rounds/hour without an indexer.   I have never put an indexer on one of my machines because I never saw the need to go any faster.  Also, I like to be able to feel whats going on when I reload, and I was concerned that the indexer would detract from the "feel".

Below is a picture of a Star Universal base that was used with an indexer.   Now I'm guessing this unit was used by a commercial reloader and for all I know may have loaded millions of rounds.  So for the average reloader, damage like this is probably something you don't have to worry about.......unless you are in the market for a new reloader, in which case, you should take a look under the shell plate before you buy.   
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com