Author Topic: How does it work?  (Read 13359 times)

wag21930

• Active Members
    • View Profile
How does it work?
« on: August 14, 2005, 09:32:11 pm »
I would appreciate it if someone would take the time to explain how the universal works. I have looked at the parts list, but can't see how the shell plate advances. Does it advance automatically or is it connected to the operation of the shaft handle? What must be done manually in order to get a finished round? What is done automatically?  Thanks WAG.
wag

wag21930

• Active Members
    • View Profile
How does it work?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 05:22:42 pm »
I think that I answered all but one of my questions about the universal. Thanks to some of the other articles on this site. The only thing that I am not sure about is the indexing. I now have to assume that it is manual. I don't now own a star, but I plan on getting one in the future. Never seen one in operation, just like the way it looks.
wag

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
How does it work?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 05:38:07 pm »
There were, and are auto indexing attachments available, but I have never used one.  I'm right handed, so I simply hook the shell thats in the sizing station with my thumb, and flip it to the priming station.  That's all there is to it.  Its just as fast, and a lot more dependable than the auto indexing on my Lee Loadmaster.

I have seen mixed reviews on the auto indexers, but if you are going to buy a machine, I would definately look for one with a Hulme Case Feeder.  It's a very worthwhile addition, and they are hard to come by if you don't get one with the reloader.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Manual Advancement
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 09:34:24 pm »
All star's, even the straightline, required manual shell plate advancement (well the straightline didn't have a shell plate but advancement was manual).  There were non-star made automatic advancers but they introduced considerable wear to the surface right under the shell plate and they didn't gain you much.  Manual advancement worked just fine.  Actually I prefer it to automatic advancement.
former progressive press collector

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
How does it work?
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 08:44:03 pm »
MA Systems markets all the attachments to make the Star fully progressive. I have been using them for years and have loaded ten's of thousands of rounds without a problem.

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
How does it work?
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 08:48:51 pm »
Does MA Systems have a web site?
former progressive press collector

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
How does it work?
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 03:06:40 pm »