Author Topic: CPM vs. Star  (Read 19479 times)

Fireball7709

• View Profile
    • http://www.teamfireballcustomproducts.com
CPM vs. Star
« on: March 18, 2005, 10:52:53 pm »
Hello, new to this forum.  Found it looking for information on a CPM press I've had for awhile.  Anyone have a CPM?  What is the difference between the Star and the CPM?

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
CPM
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 11:59:34 pm »
Clyde Products Manufacturing originally from Clyde and later from Norwalk Ohio made a machine that was Star like but with a considerable number of improvements.  Their problem as a manufacturer was that while they made machines getting parts was almost impossible.

I found the CPM amazingly hard to use.  Took me years to figure out why.  Operationally it was ALMOST star-like.  The key word being almost.  Once you REALLY understood the differences it was easy enough to use but figuring that out took me forever.

The new machine I bought from them was extremely well made.  Not parts interchangable but nice.  I no longer remember all the features that they improved on but they did make a number of important improvements.

It was a nice machine once you got use to it but I don't think that they sold many.  About the only rarer Star variations would be the one made in Australia for awhile or the handbuilt 50 caliber Browning machine gun units.

CPM's real claim to fame, however, at least in my opinion, was their kit that converted a simply single station reloader into a progressive.  This is where the RCBS line of Piggyback progressives actually came from.  Dillon treated a lawsuit against this machine and CPM withdrew it.  Don't know if they ever actually sold a single unit but I'm sure that they advertised their idea.  Today, of course, RCBS is still selling units based at least historically on this design.
former progressive press collector

Fireball7709

• View Profile
CPM vs. Star
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 05:22:09 pm »
Thanks for the information Ken, it does seem to be a real well made machine, though I prefer auto indexing machines.  Could you give me a average value of the machine?  Prices for the Star's(it's apparent closest cousin) seems to be like a secret handshake, I see them advertised all around but nobody seems to advertise a price.  This one seems to be complete without dies.  I have shellplates for 44 mag and 9mm.  Thanks again for your help.

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
CPM
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 05:43:53 pm »
In my opinion a CPM is virtually worthless.  Sorry about that.  They made very few machines.  Few people know what they are.  There aren't many press collectors.  So there is no market and no spare parts.

To a press collector hot to get one it would be a real find, almost up there with a Star straightline BUT there aren't many press collectors.

There is a site, somewhere, about old reloading presses.  You might post it there (if you can find it) but the traffic there is really low.
former progressive press collector

Fireball7709

• View Profile
CPM vs. Star
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 06:07:41 pm »
All right, thanks for the info!

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
Re: CPM vs. Star
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 02:36:43 pm »

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
Re: CPM vs. Star
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 03:05:22 pm »
All right, thanks for the info!

Not sure I can add much hard info to this but, I knew the originator of CPM, Bill Detloff, and have several friends who continue using the machines. They were all obtained from early production. They are all satisfied w/ the machines. Bill started producing them as the result of the long wait for the Star. He also said they could be made & sold for a better price. As I recall when his 1st machines were offered they were something like $30 less than the Star Universal, not significant when spending $360, which I paid for my Star at about the same time. CPM's all used std 7/8-14 dies and had a larger powder reservoir.

The purchasers of CPM machines whom I knew all worked for Bill part time and paid for their loaders, at least in part, through their workfor him. One of those, who used the CPM from the very 1st, bought a used Star from an estate a few yrs ago. His intent was to ensure it was operating ok and to sell it possibly making a few bucks. After using the star he said there was no comparison and sold the CPM.

This individual had an extensive amount of Bill's personal leftovers (after sale of CPM business). He disposed of all this at Bill's direction. The remaining CPM parts were just disposed of a few months ago when the individual retired from shooting. He had enough parts to put together 1 or 2 loaders and also had sev shell plates and misc parts.

Quite a few yrs ago I tried to obtain a vital replacement part for one of the CPM owners mentioned above whose machine was damaged when moving. I made several phone calls and a couple of trips to the new owners residence to no avail. The last trip I spoke w/ the owner's sister, w/ whom he lived and she advised I was wasting my time trying to get in touch w/ him. ?As I recall this was the immediate successor to Detloff. A hobbyist machninst friend duplicated the needed part.

The CPM is a good machine but replacement parts would have to be manufactured! Understatement!!

Star73