Author Topic: Reload 223 Rem on Star: Part 3, Expander Mandrel  (Read 9843 times)

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Reload 223 Rem on Star: Part 3, Expander Mandrel
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:53:35 am »
Below are pictures of the expander mandrel for the primer station.  It is of tool steel.  I did not heat treat and grind because of the additional expense.  I don't think the tool steel will wear significantly with ordinary noncommercial use. The diameter of the expander shaft is .223 inches (spec calls for plus or minus .0005 and slow turning on the machine to help with smoothness).  

I removed the expander ball from the decap shaft in the sizer die and this considerably reduced the force necessary to throw and return the handle (I did lube the outside of case as per die manufacturer's instructions.  The case lube additionally reduces the throw pressure noticeably).  

The expander mandrel requires much less force (so much less force that I didn't bother to lubricate the cartridge inside neck) than using the expander ball in the sizer die. I can now answer the question about which is preferable.  It's expander mandrel in primer station over using sizer expander ball hands down.

It'll take about two weeks to get a batch back from the machine shop.  I didn't have to make any changes this time, the first protype was it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:31:33 am by Manuel »

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Reload 223 Rem on Star: Part 3, Expander Mandrel
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 01:52:54 pm »
Excellant, my machine is ready to go, except for the powder spout and mandrel, please inform me when they are ready, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Reload 223 Rem on Star: Part 3, Expander Mandrel
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 08:06:42 pm »
The powder measure spouts and expander mandrels specific for 223 Rem are ready.  See Want to Sell/Want to Buy Discussion Forum for availability or email me for current prices.

Manuel Cepeda