Author Topic: Reload 223 Rem on Star: Part 2, Powder Assembly  (Read 12308 times)

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Reload 223 Rem on Star: Part 2, Powder Assembly
« on: August 26, 2009, 03:09:05 pm »
The next step has been to grind (using ordinary tool grinder) a flat on the powder slide housing base so the 7/8 x 14 taper crimp die next to it clears.  It's close but doable with the modifications to the taper crimp die already covered in a separate post.

One base pictured is a 00 base and the other is a 1/2 inch base.  The photo showing the clearances with the die inserted into the toolplate shows the 00 base with the spacers and cover for use with a 5/8 inch slide.

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Reload 223 Rem on Star: Part 2, Powder Assembly
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:26:33 pm »
I had hoped that today I would be able to post the detailed pictures of the powder measure spout assemble for 223 Rem but when I started to take pictures of the batch I just picked up, I found that the section beneath the threads that is relief cut so the spout will seat in the toolplate opening had been cut .017 inch over spec.  So another trip to the machine shop!  Should be a quick correction.  Anyway, the picture below should give a idea of the external appearane.  The bottom opening extends up far enough so that the top of the cartridge clears within the shellplate at maximum throw.  The inside is tapered the same as the cartridge so there is very little play of the cartridge within the powder mearure spout barrel and a good alignment of the internal 3/16 inch diameter spout as it enters the cartridge neck. The 3/16 inch diameter spout is press fitted in and can be drifted out and replaced if a longer or shorted spout is needed.  It is set to start dropping powder just as it enters the cartridge neck opening so the cartridge has maximun support to assure alignment.  I learned from a earlier protype that a out of alignment cartridge presses the internal spout up, into the powder slide if the error is not caught, and also ruins the tube,but remember the tube is easily replaceable.  With the current tapered configuration, I don't think this error can occur.

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 03:46:25 pm »
Now, does it work.  The answer is a easy yes.  I use A2230 ball powder.  Using the 1/2 inch adjustable slide and powder slide housing base from Rich Daniels who frequently posts on this site and machines a number of replacement Star parts, I had no problem throwing the correct range of powder commonly suggested for reloads.  As an example, and not a suggestion for a load, I adjusted the slide for 24 grains of A2230 as a test and the variation for 5 throws was 23.9 to 24.1.  This measurement was with a old RCBS balance beam scale. 

I did the same thing with the 5/8 inch assembly.  The only slide I have for this assembly is marked No. 2400, 19 grains.  It is not adjustable.  Five throws of A2230 ranged from 21.8 to 22.1.  I am not giving these numbers as a suggestion for use in a reload.  I am doing this to emphasize that the powder spout appears to be emptying quickly and completely and works.

I'll post the pictures as soon as the batch is back from the machine shop and I can cut and press some more of the internal spouts.

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 01:32:07 pm »
Here are the pictures for the final version (today anyway!) of the 223 Rem powder measure spout.  I was not comfortable with only a press fit for the internal spout that enters the neck of the cartridge so it is now bonded in place, using 7471 primer (because it is nonferrous metal) and Loctite 609.  The down side of this method is that if the internal cannelure ever needs replacing, heat will be necessary to break the bond.  The advantage is that if a deformed case ever strikes it, there probably will be enough resistance for the operator to feel it and the cannelure will not be pushed up into the powder slide. When the shell plate is turned, the tall 223 cartridges "wobble" for a moment before settling down. The long external casing in this powder measure spout design captures the 223 cartridge in time to stabilize it sufficiently so the case wobble is attenuated and the center spout cleanly enters the case without striking the edge of the center spout (a problem I had with earlier versions without this support or with close enough tolerances for support).  The powder starts throwing just as the spout enters the case neck (based on use of adjustable slide made by Richard Daniels that is known to throw loads larger enough for loading the 223).

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 01:54:47 pm »
Here are some photos of the powder measure spout components.  I had a small batch run off after I had two machined for my use. They should be assembled next week.  I'll post this in the Buy/Sell section.

A expander assembly for use at the primer station should also be ready next week,  although testing may result in further changes before they are ready!    Originally I thought I would need to place the expander mandrel inside a casing similar to that used for the powder measure spout because of case wobble, but I'll try a traditional mandrel (similar to what is used on the Star now) first. Right now, I am using a expander ball in the size/deprime station and the primers are seating fine without a mandrel for alignment at the primer station but I do pause and and look and feel to make sure the cartridge is in proper position in the shellplate before throwing the handle.  That gets tedious.

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 05:50:09 pm »
Looks good to me, very nice work, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 01:15:15 pm »
I just picked up the batch of powder measure spouts, some with the press fit center tube and the others with the center tube bonded in place (I decided to make both so the user who has a preference can choose).  I also reviewed and the drawing for the expander mandrel.  Now a protype will be made in tool steel and "tested" and modified if necessary.  Plans are for the final version to be heat treated to harden.  I'll post both for sale as a one price set once the expanders have been tested and a decision made on the final version.  I'll post pictures of the expander prototype and a followup about function.  I hope this will be next week (all depends on the machine shop schedule, this is a small project and the work is being done when a operator is available and the proper machine is free). 

Manuel Cepeda

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 11:04:40 am »
I just talked with the machine shop that is making the expanders and approved the final drawing.  The prototype will be machined by the end of next week.  Once the prototype is approved (tested), it will be three weeks for the first batch (slow because the final version will be heat treated for hardness).  We are also talking about using a harder metal rather than heat treat. 

Has anyone had any experience with the issue of how hard the metal must be for a expander?

Slower than I had planned on but  it's getting there!

Manuel Cepeda

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 03:24:51 pm »
I just picked up the prototype expander mandrel.  It works!  Looks like any other mandrel, only cut for 223 and recesses about halfway into the shellplate.  Always a relief not to have to go through additional prototypes. Tomorrow I'll post pictures in a new thread (Part 3 of Reload 223 Rem on Star) for the expander.  I want to alter adjustments and see if any measurements need fine tuning before a batch made.

Manuel Cepeda