Author Topic: Powder Check  (Read 2990 times)

Long Recoil

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Powder Check
« on: February 01, 2023, 08:50:49 am »
By what method and what frequency do you gents confirm powder drop?

I simply look over the case before seating every bullet.  I'm not going for max speed.  I do want to set up a mirror and light.  I've never seen a missed charge through the few hundred rounds with my Universal and Progressive in the few weeks I've had them. 

If you have mirror or camera set ups please share pics.

Wade

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Powder Check
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 10:10:03 am »
I have never had an issue about whether powder is dropping, just whether the amount of the drop is correct.
The design and function of how the Star powder drop works, practically eliminates that concern, as long as you maintain powder in the tube.

When I first start, I cycle and weigh at least 5 drops, then check 5th and 10th charge for accuracy and consistency.  After that every 50.

In my opinion, I have sufficient ambient light from overhead, and feel I do not require a dedicated press light.

I do however, verify powder is present in my Dillon 550.
Hope this helps.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Scott L

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 11:32:08 am »
My presses are mounted 90 degrees clockwise, which enables me to see into the case after the powder drop.
Press lever in left hand and bullets in right hand.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 11:58:52 am »
Checking to see if powder dropped is sort of a Dillon thing.   At least that's what I here.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Long Recoil

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 07:47:38 pm »
Checking to see if powder dropped is sort of a Dillon thing.   At least that's what I here.

;D

Hilarious

--Wade

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 02:29:54 pm »
I have checked powder drop on my Star ( bullseye ) by the most effective way that I know. You load a few hundred 45's , grab a couple handfuls and shoot over your chronograph . You will find a standard deviation lower than most factory loads. So if this does not work for you maybe you are too smart to to use a Star.
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 10:39:48 pm »
I have been reloading with the Star Machines since 1956, I've had one occurrence with powder drop consistency, don't remember the name of the powder, but it was "bridging" in the powder magazine.  I discovered this after loading a batch of 44 mag that didn't shoot very well. Not sure but possible cause was the powder had been exposed to moisture. lesson learned=Don't leave powder in the hopper over night !

Good Shooting

Lindy

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 04:31:14 pm »
Have never had a powder drop failure in 285,000 rounds just watch that the powder magazine has powder in it.