Author Topic: Any "Gotchas" about doing 9mm in a Progressive?  (Read 9478 times)

johnfreeman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Any "Gotchas" about doing 9mm in a Progressive?
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:25:42 pm »
I have an extra tool head, a new set of 9mm dies a new shellplate  and an extra Progressive. I hear that the shell plate needs a few thou removed from the diameter. Does this render it useless for future use on the Universal, or do the adjustment "fingers" have enough travel to compensate?

Can anyone who's actually done this comment on the functionality ? I don't mind swapping the fixturing on my Universal, but it would be nice to have a dedicated 9mm machine

Many thanks to all for your advice.
John

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Any "Gotchas" about doing 9mm in a Progressive?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 04:20:21 pm »
You also need an exit for the loaded round.   When loading 38 Special or .357, the finished round drops out the bottom.   9MM won't do that, the case is held in the shell plate by the extraction groove.   Universals have a side exit at the last station,  Progressives as shipped do not.  I have seen some that have been modified to include that feature.  You also need a floor plug for a Progressive.  9 MM should be taper crimped in the last station.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 05:54:35 pm »
I did this very thing. I bought the shellplate from "barreltester" specifically for a progressive. My plate is HARD. I don't think you can easily reduce the diameter. The floor stop or plate wasn't much trouble to make (I have a lathe). IIRC you must put this plug in from the bottom which means taking the aluminum base off. Remember progressive and universal toolheads are different and don't swap easily. I tapped the last station for a 7/8-14 die  and use a lee factory crimp die there. I also modified a 38 expander plug by shortening it to work with the 9mm. The  taper expander won't reach unless it is shortened. I run this machine with a Hulme case feeder, Brewster Indexer and a case kicker from ebay. I used a dremel to cut out the side for ejection. The only problem I have had that was kind of hard to figure was in bulk buy brass, I was getting some (not all) with swaged primer pockets and that made me pull my hair until I figured out the cause. Small pistol primers either won't go without opening them up or they go crooked and either one makes the process come to a halt. I now separate by headstamps.
My email is in my profile if I can be of any help.
Rolling Stone

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 08:49:10 pm »
Rolling Stone

Good Show, Happy to read that You were able to load 9mm on your modified machine. I did basicly the same on a universal to load 40 S&W and it worked
out very well. I had to slightly bevel the case openings on the shell plate with a Dremal Grinder to accomadate the case, Turned down and re threaded
RCBS dies and then modify the last station to kick out the finished cartridge. Now loading excellent re-loads without any Bobbels.

Good Shooting

Lindy