Author Topic: Star Universal Turns Hard  (Read 10396 times)

dd in MA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star Universal Turns Hard
« on: December 28, 2005, 12:13:47 pm »
I just acquired a Universal in .45 acp.  The shellplate turns as if it is being held back.  I loosened the locknut and adjusted it several times and got a minute better performance.  Took the plate out  and do NOT see any indication of a problem -- no wear marks.

Any thoughts?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Star Universal Turns Hard
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 03:17:30 pm »
Assuming nothing is damaged, the only resistance should come from that created by the Thrust nut, and that created by the steel indexing ball.
The ball may be gumed up with powder and other residue preventing free movement.

When I get a new machine I always do a complete disassembly and do a through cleaning.   Remove the brass "steel ball plug" from the bottom of the machine, remove the spring and ball, and clean those parts so that the ball moves freely in its hole.   When you reassemble the machine and tighten the thrust nut, it should not be tightened to the point where it impedes movement of the shell plate.  It should only be tightened to where all but eliminates the rocking of the shell plate cause by the pressure from the steel ball.

I always use a little grease on the inside of the shell plate where it contacts the column shaft, and on the underside of the thrust nut.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

TDO'NEILL

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 07:55:09 am »
Yes, cleaning should help. Then adjust as described.
TDO'NEILL

Lifetyme

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 08:08:20 am »
You might want to check the adjustment on the shell locating straps.? If one is adjusted too close towards center, the shellplate can rub and/or bind.

Regards,

Bob
Best Regards.

Bob

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 01:59:23 pm »
Very good point about the shell locating straps.  It can happen, especially when changing from one shell plate to another.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com